Become a SOTRU Superhero!
Host a Listening Party on the Weekend of November 5th or 6th
You may not be faster than a speeding bullet, but you can still be a SOTRU Superhero! We are very excited to be organizing a weekend of State of the Re:Union Listening Parties across the country. The weekend of November 5th and 6th, we’re asking our loyal listeners to use their superhuman speed and strength to gather their friends to come together to listen to a State of the Re:Union episode while helping raise much-needed funds to continue producing this program.
If you are interested in showing off your superpowers by becoming a host, you can learn more below. And remember, you can throw a Listening Party anytime even if you can’t do so on our official weekend. If you have any questions, please email Brie at brie(at)stateofthereunion(dot)com.
“I cannot stress enough what a special, unique experience it is to have a group of people gathered in a small space, all listening together, experiencing their own ideas, emotions, opinions independently and yet in a shared space.”
- Marietta Synodis
Host of a SOTRU Listening Party in Brooklyn
Ten Steps for Hosting Your Own SOTRU Soireé
1. Choose what episode from the second season that you’d like to air. To download the podcast to your computer, right click on the episode and choose ‘save as’ or ‘save link as’ to save the mp3 file.
- Las Vegas, NV
- Birmingham, AL
- Utica, NY
- Oakland, CA
- Miami, FL
- The Bronx, NY
- Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Cleveland, OH
- Sacramento, CA
***Or we have a special exclusive offer that’s available for listening parties. If you can’t choose what episode to air, how about our Season Two Sampler? It includes the Producers’ Cuts of some of their favorite stories from this season. We’re currently working on this special sampler and we’ll let you know when it’s ready for download.
2. Let us know you’re hosting a party! Shoot an email to Brie at brie(at)stateofthereunion(dot)com and let us know your name, your city and what episode you’re showcasing at your soireé.
3. Decide what kind of party you want to have. Do you want to provide the food and refreshments or do you want it to be a potluck? Or you can just ask everyone to BYOB or even throw a dessert party and have everyone bring their favorite sweet treat.
5. On the day of the event, set up with a few appetizers, drinks and create a space where everyone can easily listen. Test your speakers to make sure everything is working properly. As people arrive, they can mingle with each other before the festivities begin.
6. Once everyone has arrived, gather your guests around. You can say a few words if you choose, then host Al Letson has taped an introduction to the evening – which will be available soon. Once Al’s video is done, go ahead and start playing the episode.
7. If possible, take pictures! We’d love to collect photos from all of the listening parties across the country and put them together.
8. About halfway through the hour-long episode, you can stop to offer everyone a chance to stretch their legs and take a bathroom break if needed.
9. After the episode is finished, you can take a short bathroom and snack break, then we encourage you to begin a discussion about the topics addressed in the episode. We’ll have some suggested discussion questions about each of the fall episodes and the exclusive Season Two Sampler coming soon.
10. Once the party has ended, let us know how it went! Send your thoughts and pictures to Brie at brie(at)stateofthereunion(dot)com.